Entering a Program and Changing Settings
- Press the desired program button, then press the OK button to select a program and begin customizing the settings.
- If you want to workout without entering new settings, press the Start button. This will bypass the programming of data and take you directly to the start of your workout.
- If you want to change the personal settings, follow the instructions in the message window. If you start a program without changing the settings, the default settings will be used.
Each of the programs can be customized with your personal information and changed to suit your needs. Some of the information asked for is necessary to ensure the readouts are correct. You will be asked for your age and weight. Entering your weight aides in calculating a more accurate calorie reading.
The StairClimber test was designed to simulate the critical tasks of climbing stairs in full protective clothing while carrying fire fighting equipment. This test challenges candidate’s aerobic capacity, lower body muscular endurance, and ability to balance. The goal of the test is to complete a fixed time warm-up at 50 steps per minute, followed immediately by a 3-minute segment at 60 steps per minute. The test ends after the 3-minute segment. This is a PASS/FAIL test which does not measure heart rate or determine sub-maximal VO2 level.
- The test has only 2 segments and begins when the StairClimber unlocks and begins to rotate.
- Warm-Up - 20 seconds at 50 steps per minute
- Test - 3 minutes at 60 steps per minute
- Press the Fitness Tests program button.
- Console displays: "WFI." Press the start/stop button again for CAPT, then press OK.
- Press Start to begin the CPAT Fitness Test. The test begins when the stairclimber unlocks and begins to rotate.
- The level + or - keys are not operational during the test.
- Pressing the start/stop button will terminate the test immediately.
Custom User Programs
Customize your workout based on your personal preferences
Press the User Program button.
30:00 minutes continually blinks in the display window indicating the total program time.
Console scrolls: "User Program." Press OK.
Console scrolls: "Set Level For Each Segment." Use the numerical keypad or the resistance + or – buttons to set the level for each segment, then press OK.
Set the desired length of time, then press OK.
Press Start to begin the program.
Preset (Built-in) Programs
6 preset programs offering a variety of challenge levels
- Press the desired program key.
The console now displays: "Start or Press OK to set up." Press OK to enter your personal information, or press Start to begin the warm up without entering your settings.
If you press OK to enter your personal information, "Enter Your Age" displays on the screen. The default age of 35 will blink repeatedly. Use the level + or – keys or the numerical keypad to adjust age. Press OK.
"Enter Your Weight" displays on the screen. The default weight of 145 lbs will blink repeatedly. Use the level + or – keys or the numerical keypad to adjust weight. Press OK.
"Enter Time" displays on the screen. The default time of 30 minutes will blink repeatedly. The minimum time is 5 minutes and the maximum time is 99 minutes. Use the level + or – keys or the numerical keypad to adjust time. Press OK.
Press Start to begin. The console counts down from 3 seconds, then the stairs unlock and the program begins. Program profile displays on the dot matrix display. Resistance level begins at 23 steps per minute (SPM).
Fat Burning Training
Rolling Hills Challenge
Pausing or Ending a Program
- The console does not have a dedicated pause button. To pause the exercise, slow the step rate and step off onto the supports on either side of the machine. The maximum time allowed before the console resets is 30 seconds. The steps will not lock. To resume exercise, step onto stairs and increase the step rate.
- Pressing the Start/Stop button will end the workout and lock the stairs from rotating.
- Background color of the Start button will change from green to red indicating that the machine has stopped. When the program restarts the color will revert to blue, or if the program is ended the color will change to blue indicating that the machine is ready. Note: When the Start button and the contact heart rate handlebar ends are green, this indicates that the machine is in motion.
- Once a program has stopped, pressing the Results button will scroll the workout summary on the display (workout program totals for: Vertical, Total Calories, Time Elapsed, and Steps). Note: Pressing the Results button twice will erase the workout results and revert to start screen.