Always consult a physician before starting an exercise program. To be successful in your exercise
program, it is important to develop an understanding of the basic principles of resistance training.
Now that you have assembled your Spirit Fitness bench, it is only natural that you want to get started
immediately. First, determine a few realistic, short term goals and expectations for yourself. Choose an
appropriate exercise routine that best suits your individual needs.
Resistance Training Benefits and Tips
- Warm up properly before engaging in resistance training. Stretching, yoga, jogging, calisthenics, or other cardiovascular exercise can help prepare your body for the heavier workload of lifting weights.
- Learn how to perform the exercise correctly before using heavy weight. Correct form is important to avoid injury and ensure that you work the proper muscle groups.
- Know your limitations. If you are new to resistance training or are starting back, after an extended layoff, start slowly and build foundational strength over a longer period of time.
- Pay attention to your breathing. As a general rule of thumb: inhale on the non-exertion part of the movement and exhale during the exertion portion. Never hold your breath.
- Keep in mind how important the recovery phase is in achieving your goals. The general rule is to allow a minimum of 48-72 hours before training the same muscles. If you still experience soreness after this period of time has elapsed, take a few additional days until the soreness has subsided.
- To achieve maximum results and avoid possible injury, consult a fitness professional to formulate a complete exercise program.