Pairing a Heart Rate Monitor to Your Machine
Your console’s heart rate receiver is designed to work with a 5kHz telemetric heart rate transmitter (sold separately). The heart rate monitor is automatically activated when it detects activity from the user’s heart.
Purchasing a Chest Strap Heart Monitor
You may purchase a compatible chest strap-style heart rate monitor from Spirit directly for $36.00 plus $7.99 shipping.
Spirit cannot guarantee that any aftermarket chest strap-style heart rate monitors will be 100% compatible with your machine. Aftermarket chest straps must be "uncoded” (able to transmit to any receiver frequency) to potentially work with Spirit machines.
Wearing a Chest Strap Heart Rate Monitor
Your workout must be within range (close distance between transmitter and receiver) to achieve a strong, steady signal. The length of range may vary somewhat but generally, the user should stay within 3' of the console to maintain good, strong, reliable readings. It is also recommended that you wear the transmitter strap a few minutes before your workout. Some users, because of body chemistry, have a more difficult time in achieving a strong, steady signal at the beginning. After warming up, this problem lessens.
To put on your chest strap:
- Attach the transmitter to the elastic strap using the locking parts.
- Adjust the strap as tightly as possible, as long as the strap is not too tight to remain comfortable.
- Position the transmitter with the logo centered in the middle of your torso facing away from your chest (some people must position the transmitter slightly left of center). Attach the final end of the elastic strap by inserting the round end and, using the locking parts, secure the transmitter and strap around your chest.
- Ensure that the transmitter is placed directly below the pectoral muscles.
5. Sweat is the best conductor to measure very minute heart beat electrical signals. However, plain water can also be used to pre-wet the electrodes (2 ribbed oval areas on the reverse side of the belt and both sides of the transmitter).
Wearing the transmitter directly on bare skin assures you of proper operation, however, wearing clothing over the transmitter/strap does not affect performance. To do so, wet the areas of the shirt that the electrodes will rest upon.
Benefits of Wearing a Heart Rate Monitor During Your Workouts
Using a heart rate monitor during workouts lets you track key information besides just how fast your heart is beating. A good heart rate monitor can also help you monitor the intensity of your workouts. The higher your heart rate gets, the more calories you’re burning. By using a heart rate monitor during a workout, you can adjust your energy output to match your heart rate to the best level to burn fat. Monitoring your workout intensity will allow you to get the optimal caloric expenditure and burning of fats and carbohydrates. Learn more about tracking your heart rate here.
Troubleshooting Your Chest Strap Heart Monitor
Do not use this stepper for Heart Rate Programs unless a steady, solid heart rate value is being displayed. High, wild, random numbers being displayed indicates a problem. Interference that may cause erratic heart rate include(s):
- Microwave ovens, TV’s, small appliances, etc.
- Fluorescent lights
- Some household security systems
- Perimeter fence for a pet
- Another Individual wearing a transmitter within 3’ of your machine’s console
Some users have problems with the transmitter picking up a signal from their skin. If you have problems, try wearing the transmitter upside down. Normally the transmitter is oriented so the ‘SPIRIT’ logo is right side up.
The antenna that picks up your heart rate is very sensitive. If there is an outside noise source, turning the whole machine 90 degrees may de-tune the interference.
If you continue to experience problems using your chest strap heart rate monitor, submit a ticket to the Spirit Service Department here.