Your CU800ENT bike comes equipped with a variety of built-in programs as well as the ability to customize your workout based upon your fitness goals. When the 'Exercise Programs' button is selected from the home screen, a menu of different programs is displayed:
IMPORTANT: Always consult your physician before participating in any exercise program or regimen.
A manual program requires a time frame set before starting. You may also choose to enter your age and weight. Speed and resistance are adjusted manually while cycling. Press START to begin workout.
Preset (Built-in) Programs
Preset programs have speed and resistance changing profiles, which you can find on the program preview.
To get more info on each program, tap on the program name. Once selected, tap PROFILE to preview the program speed and incline settings. Press ENTER to select a program, or tap the < / > arrows to scroll through the other available programs.
A custom program allows users to create customized speed and resistance changing profiles. Once the profile is defined, choose target time and maximum speed, so the intensity adapts accordingly. Levels may be changed manually at any time during the workout.
- From the Exercise Programs list, select Custom program. Press ENTER to begin customizing the program with your personal data, or press the START button to begin the program with the default settings.
- To adjust speed and resistance profiles, use the on-screen interface to achieve desired workout profiles. Once complete, press NEXT to save and continue.
- The following screens will ask you to enter the desired time, the user age, and weight. You may use the default values, or adjust as needed. Press START once complete to begin your new custom workout program!
This program follows a triangle or pyramid type of gradual progression from approximately 10% of maximum effort (the level that you choose before starting this program) up to a maximum effort which lasts for 10% of the total workout time, then a gradual regression of speed back to approximately 10% of maximum effort. Resistance levels are gradual and sustain progression. Maximum resistance occurs in the middle of the workout and lasts for 10% of the duration.
Fat Burn Program
This program follows a quick progression up to the maximum speed level (default or user input level) that is sustained for 2/3 of the workout. This program will challenge your ability to sustain your energy output for an extended period of time. Resistance levels are quick and sustain progression up to the maximum value (default or user input) for 90% of the workout duration.
This program presents a quick progression up to near maximum speed level (default or user input level). It has slight fluctuations up and down to allow heart rate to elevate, and then recover repeatedly, before beginning a quick cool down. This will build up your heart muscle and increase blood flow and lung capacity. Resistance levels in this program are moderate. There are several intensity spikes at different points of the workout (segments 4, 9, and 14 are maximum resistance for this program).
This program takes you through high levels of intensity followed by recovery periods of low intensity. This program utilizes and develops your “fast twitch” muscle fibers which are used when performing tasks that are intense and short in duration. These deplete your oxygen level and spike your heart rate, followed by periods of recovery and heart rate drop to replenish oxygen. All of your lower extremity muscles will be equally challenged throughout this program. The resistance alternates between 25% and 65% of maximum elevation.
Heart Rate Program
See our article: "Utilizing CU800ENT Heart Rate Features."
The High Intensity Interval Training ("HIIT") program takes advantage of the latest trend in fitness. During this program, you will perform short bursts of high intensity sprinting followed by short rest periods. HIIT is a fully customizable interval training program. Users can enter the number of intervals, time of each interval sprint and rest periods and the work intensity of the levels. To set the program:
- Select the HIIT program, then press ENTER to begin customizing the program with your personal data. Set the number of intervals you want to do (default amount of intervals is 8). One interval equals 1 sprint and 1 rest segment.
- Next, set the interval time (sprint time and rest time). You may to select the sprint time or rest time from 20 to 90 seconds. After the interval time is set, set the intensity training to sprint speed and rest speed. This is the resistance level you will experience during the program.
- You may now press START to begin the HIIT program. The program starts with a 3-minute warm-up period with the speed set to 50% of the sprint speed selected previously. You can manually adjust the speed during warm-up if you wish.
Fitness Test Program
The VO2 fitness test program is based on the YMCA protocol and is a sub-maximal test that uses pre-determined, fixed work levels that are based on your heart rate readings as the test progresses. The test will take anywhere between 6 to 15 minutes to complete, depending on your level of fitness. The test ends when your heart rate reaches 85% of maximum at any time during the test or your heart rate is between 110 bpm and 85% at the end of two consecutive stages. At the end of the test, a VO2max score will be given. VO2max stands for Volume of Oxygen uptake which is a measurement of how much oxygen you need to perform a known amount of work. The YMCA protocol uses two to four, 3 minute stages of continuous exercise (see charts below). You will be asked to specify your gender before beginning the test.