Your XT485 treadmill comes equipped with a variety of built-in programs as well as the ability to customize your workout based upon your fitness goals.
IMPORTANT: Always consult your physician before participating in any exercise program or regimen.
Adjust your settings as you workout
- Press the START key to wake the display up (if not already on). Note: Installing the safety key will also wake up console.
- Press the MANUAL console button and then press the ENTER key to begin belt movement at 0.5 mph, then adjust to the desired speed using the speed +/- or 0-9 keys (console or handrail). You can adjust the speed at any time during your workout.
- To adjust the incline level, press and the incline +/- or 0-9 keys (console or handgrip keys) to achieve the desired gradient.
- To stop the tread-belt and end the workout, press the STOP key.
Customize your workout based on your personal preferences
- Select the User 1 or User 2 program key then press ENTER. Note that the dot matrix display portion will have a single row of dots at the bottom (unless there is a previously stored program).
- The message window will now be blinking an age value. Adjust the age and press ENTER.
- The message window will now be blinking a body weight value. Enter your body weight and press ENTER. Note: entering body weight values will affect the calorie count.
- The message window will now be blinking a time value. Adjust the time and press ENTER.
- The first column (segment) will now be blinking. Use speed keys (▲ / ▼) to adjust, then press ENTER. The second column will now be blinking. Repeat the above process until all segments have been programmed. Then press ENTER to confirm and enter incline programming. Repeat the above process to program all segments for incline.
- Press the START button to begin the workout and also save the programmed speed and incline values.
Preset (Built-in) Programs
9 preset programs offering a variety of challenge levels
- Press the desired preset program console button (Hill, Fat Burn, Cardio, Strength, or Interval). Press ENTER to select the program. The display will prompt you through the programming or you can press START at any time to begin the program with default values.
- After pressing ENTER, the console display will prompt you to enter your age (default age is 35). Entering your correct age affects the heart rate Bar Graph Display and the Heart Rate programs. Use the +/- keys to adjust to your age, then press ENTER. Your age determines your recommended maximum heart rate. Since the Bar Graph Display and the Heart Rate features are based on a percentage of your maximum heart rate, it is important to enter the correct age for these features to work properly.
- The console display will now prompt you to enter your body weight (default weight is 150 lbs). Entering the correct body weight will affect the calorie count. Use the +/- keys to adjust your weight, then press ENTER.
- The console display will now prompt you to enter the workout time length (the default value is 20 minutes). You may use the +/- keys to adjust the workout session length. After adjusting, or to accept the default, press ENTER.
- The console display will blink the default top speed of the selected preset program (3.0mph). Use the speed +/- keys to adjust, then press ENTER. Each program has various speed changes throughout; this allows you to limit the highest speed the program can reach.
- The console display will blink the default top incline of the selected preset program. Use the incline +/- keys to adjust, then press ENTER.
- You are now done programming data and may press START.
This program follows a triangle or pyramid type of gradual progression from approximately 10% of maximum effort (the level that you chose before starting this program) up to a maximum effort which lasts for 10% of the total workout time, then a gradual regression of resistance back to approximately 10% of maximum effort. The deck incline is a more gradual and sustained progression. Maximum incline occurs in the middle of the workout and lasts for 10% of the workout.
Fat Burn Program
This program follows a quick progression up to the maximum resistance level (default or user input level) that is sustained for 2/3 of the workout. The deck incline is a quick and sustained progression up to the maximum value (default or user input) for 90% of the workout. This program will challenge your ability to sustain your energy output for an extended period of time.
This program has a gradual progression of resistance up to 100% of maximum effort that is sustained for 25% of workout duration. There is a quick climb to a moderate, sustained incline that lasts the majority of the workout length. This will help build strength and muscular endurance in the lower body and glutes. A brief cool down follows.
This program takes you through high levels of intensity followed by recovery periods of low intensity. This program utilizes and develops your “fast twitch” muscle fibers which are used when performing tasks that are intense and short in duration. These deplete your oxygen level and spike your heart rate, followed by periods of recovery and heart rate drop to replenish oxygen. This exercise trains your cardiovascular system to use oxygen more efficiently. This program will spike similar to the speed profile, but in different segments (columns); this means that all of your lower extremity muscles will be equally challenged throughout this program. The incline alternates between 25% and 65% of maximum elevation.
This program will challenge your ability to sustain your energy output for an extended period of time. This program follows a quick progression up to the maximum speed level (default or user input level) that is sustained for 2/3 of the workout. The treadmill elevation is a quick and sustained progression up to the maximum incline value (default or user input) for 90% of the workout duration.